Thursday, June 18, 2009

Physical Therapy

I met with a very kind Physical therapist yesterday to discuss deep water therapy.
It seems to be the preferred method of cardio for EDS patients. She impressed me immediately with the fact that she had researched EDS and knew that I was going to have to be my own advocate. She was gentle with me...she noticed how I held my pen and could see the discomfort in my hands, she noticed the changes in my skin coloring when I over heated while walking past the hot tub. She noticed tears in my eyes when we discussed keeping me out of a wheelchair for as long as possible and then I noticed her sympathetic tears. She was soft spoken and completely present.Offered me tips on saving my joints and let me know that every little thing I don't do now will keep me out of a wheelchair that much longer. Things like mowing the lawn, pruning trees, fixing things around the house, walking up the stairs,lifting heavy items, washing my car. She also gave me a great piece of advice. "do the things your heart truly wants to
do and forget the rest" The EDS patient can go to a concert or Worlds of fun but the
handicap "hangover" may require two days of bed rest to recover. I appreciated her gentle candor. The last thing I need is someone telling me "everything will be okay"
when, to loosely quote my magic 8 ball -all sources say otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found a PT that is dedicated to keeping it real and helping you accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep water therapy is suggested for EDS patients. I hope you'll find it safe and useful.

    ReplyDelete