Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bull in a china closet

All my life I have been considered clumsy, klutzy, accident prone.... a "bull in a china closet" my mom always said. If there was an uneven surface or a pebble in my path I would trip, fall, and sprain my ankle. If I came into contact with anything remotely sharp my skin would tear. "You could cut yourself on a rubber ball" my best friend would tease. And the bruises! I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least a few bruises on my body.On occasion enough that it made my male friends afraid to be seen with me for fear people would deem them an abuser. An active life full of sports, a "can do" attitude, and a labor intensive career path made my many scrapes and injuries seem justified. But now, at 41, I can laugh in the face of such ridicule. I am not an unaware klutz. I was watching where I was going. I will no longer be labeled a bull in a china closet! But come to think of it......right now, I'd love it if I were indeed just clumsy. It's kind of a cute word.

1 comment: