Thursday, July 2, 2009

brace yourself




One of the issues associated with Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is joint laxity. When I read that my joints would one day start to dislocate spontaneously I was certain this would be a bit down the road. Surprise!....my left middle finger decided
it would be the "ceremonial first" to introduce me to the joys of dislocation. Not to be upstaged, my right knee joined the festivities soon after. My hand therapist began the splinting process with some plastic make shift finger splints that will help her determine the type of splints I need. The plastic splints will be replaced by groovy silver ones that will make me look like a gypsy. The hand splint (which looks like a Jason mask) is to keep my thumb from hyper extending. I also have a lovely new knee brace. I apologize to whoever is behind me the next time I have to walk through the metal detectors in the airport. It may take me awhile to shed all of the metal gadgets adorning my body. Brace yourself....it's going to be a bumpy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment