Sunday, July 26, 2009

Water Bored

Well, I am about to complete my 6 water therapy sessions. My therapist is showing me what I can and cannot do without damaging my joints because even a water class designed for the elderly would be considered too stressful on my failing joints. Then I will be on my own to continue at the community center pool. The exercises (and I use the term loosely) are a bit silly. Especially with my athletic history of track, soccer, tennis, and bodybuilding. I remember working out so hard that I couldn't walk a straight line to my car... Doing 400 sit ups a day....spending a sweaty hour on the treadmill. Now, here I am holding onto the handicap railing in the pool and walking to the end of the pool and back. Then I get to change it up and do it backwards! Before my 20 minutes are up I have performed several more humiliating exercises such as lifting my foot 45 degrees behind me and lifting my straightened arms from down at my sides to the surface of the water. And work it.... and own it.....one and a two. An elderly man is over a few lanes doing laps. Something is wrong with this picture! Believe it or not,those silly little exercises kick my behind! And it is nice to spend twenty minutes of pain free movement. The water is cool and soothing. And in the water, I hardly notice the extra 30 pounds that came quickly after I had to quit exercising. My second dad Ted taught me a quote that I find myself repeating a lot these days- "Things work out best for people who make the best of the way things work out." Thanks for the positive attitude Dad! It's coming in handy.

2 comments:

  1. I got a kick (about 45 degrees:-))out of the title of this one. I am so proud of your attitude through all of this and what a great job you have done overcoming your undying need to "do it myself" by letting those who love you help you out in whatever way we can. I'd make the whole world a swimming pool if I could to aleviate your pain. Thanks for teaching me how to keep my chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you need to be-dazzel those finger braces!!! Keep the fabulous attitude!

    ReplyDelete